Well I am not someone who likes leftovers. I wish I was but now with the Covid-19 pandemic I feel I can’t throw a thing away. I’m having to challenge myself to get creative! What I am happy with is that I’m using what I have. This past August I made homemade tomato sauce from my garden tomatoes and herbs. It’s so good. The other night we had spaghetti with meat sauce and we had tons of leftovers. None of us wanted the same thing so…I put it together in a different way. SPAGHETTI PIE!
Have you ever had spaghetti pie? It’s so good! It’s one of my husband’s favorite dinner. It’s pretty darn easy too.
The other part about spaghetti pie is it’s made with everything I always have in the house.
Start with laying the spaghetti in a pie or cake pan. Add more or less depending on how thick you want the noodle layer. I did a thinner layer…you know we’re watching our carbs haha. Then you whisk up the two eggs and pour over noodles.
Mix together Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese. I’m a cottage cheese snob and will only eat Old Home 4%. If you have it available it is the very best…in my opinion. I also added some Italian Seasoning I had in the cupboard. Part of my cooking is a little here, a little there. I’ve learned and continue to learn what spices to enhance your meal.
I then lay the meat sauce over the entire pie and cover in cheese. Now it’s time to bake!
I put it in the oven and the family went for a short walk to get a little fresh air and burn some energy. With our lives being cooped up and having so much time together we are really trying hard to get outside, practice social distancing, and get some exercise.
A little over two years ago I was introduced to a workout studio called Energy Pilates Fitness and Yoga. I make my very best effort every week to go to three classes. It’s awesome because they have childcare at the 9:45am class Monday-Friday. That’s rare for a small studio. I am missing my workouts and my friends that I’ve met there. They are providing online classes on Facebook and they are making it available to EVERYONE!!!!
- 1/2 box of cooked spaghetti noodles, my family prefers thin spaghetti
- Jar of spaghetti sauce, I used homemade sauce
- 8 oz of ground beef or turkey (lean)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp BB’s Homemade Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup Cottage cheese (I prefer 4%)
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray pie dish or cake pan with cooking spray or cover with butter.
- Lay noodles along the bottom of pan.
- Whisk eggs and pour over noodles. I like to use my hands to mix well and then pat noodles down so evenly spread out.
- Sprinkle BB’s Homemade Seasoning over noodle/egg mixture.
- Mix together greek yogurt and cottage cheese, stir in Italian seasoning. Spread in the middle of the noodles.
- My sauce was left over and the meat was already mixed but you can either layer meat then sauce or mix together the meat and sauce. Cover the entire pie.
- Top with cheese
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Bake until cheese is golden brown
- Slice and Serve