Quick and Easy Spaghetti Pie by BB
~links are affiliate links and small commissions can be made at no expense to the buyer~
Easy, Delicious, and hearty. My family loves this recipe! It’s also a perfect recipe when you are hosting people because it can be made ahead of time. This is definitely comfort food that is extremely versatile.
The Seasons are changing and with that my recipes change. One of my husband’s favorite recipe I make is spaghetti pie. And the best part is it’s super easy! You can even use your leftover spaghetti dinner to make it. This recipe is family friendly, can be made ahead of time, and takes under 30 minutes to put together. As school starts our lives get busier and having a meal that is hearty but doesn’t take too much time to put together is important to me.
What is different about Spaghetti Pie versus a Spaghetti bake? It’s pretty easy. With a spaghetti bake you mix everything and top with cheese. Spaghetti pie has distinct layers. I prefer it for a couple reasons. I have found when I make Spaghetti bake the noodles can get soggy because you mix it all together. With Spaghetti bake it’s all separate and the noodles hold their integrity better! They also get a yummy crunch around the edges which I love!
In my opinion, Spaghetti Pie is just a bit fancier too. Not just a typical dump hot dish (or casserole if you’re not from Minnesota). It presents better but it’s just as easy to make. I find it’s a bit easier to serve as well. The gooey melted cheese on top and the crispy crunch of the noodles around the edges. Is your mouth watering yet?
Options to switch up Spaghetti Pie
- My family is meat eaters so that’s how I make it. I made a bolognese sauce with my garden tomatoes and it made the perfect sauce for the top. I used ground pork and beef in my sauce. I may or may not have snuck in carrots, celery, onions, and red peppers. I chop them up small so no one knows they are in there haha.
- You could also easily make this into a vegetarian meal. Skip the meat. Add more veggies. You could saute fresh spinach with garlic and olive oil. Once the spinach is wilted you can make a layer of the spinach before adding the sauce on top and cheese.
- I use cottage cheese because I my mom always used cottage cheese in lasagna and I like the texture better than ricotta. However you could totally use ricotta in the same way.
- The beauty of this recipe is that you can just use a jar of your favorite store bought pasta sauce. I happen to have homemade sauce from my garden tomatoes.
- For the cheese I use cottage cheese and shredded mozzarella. Easy peasy. What’s great about this recipe is I almost always have all the ingredients.
- For the noodles, my husband is very partial to thin spaghetti so that’s what I use but I truly believe you could use any noodle you like.
- Lastly for the dish, I use a glass pie dish. I love how the edges get a nice and gentle crisp. I’ve also used disposable tin dishes for freezing this recipe. I really like this heavy duty disposable dish because it just stores better!
- 1 box of cooked spaghetti noodles, my family prefers thin spaghetti, I don’t use the whole box but I like to have extra noodles (hello buttered noodles for the picky kid)
- Jar of spaghetti sauce, I used homemade sauce
- 16 oz of ground beef or turkey (lean)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp BB’s Homemade Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup Cottage cheese (I prefer 4%)
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spray pie dish or cake pan with cooking spray or cover with butter.
- Lay noodles along the bottom of pan.
- Whisk eggs and pour over noodles. I like to use my hands to mix well and then pat noodles down so evenly spread out.
- Sprinkle BB’s Homemade Seasoning over noodle/egg mixture.
- Mix together cottage cheese and 1/2 cup of mozzeralla cheese, stir in Italian seasoning. Spread in the middle of the noodles.
- My sauce was left over and the meat was already mixed but you can either layer meat then sauce or mix together the meat and sauce. Cover the entire pie.
- Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Bake until cheese is golden brown
- Slice and Serve
I like to serve my spaghetti with a delicious and crisp Cesar Salad as well as some garlic bread. Open up a yummy bottle of wine and it dresses up the meal a bit. Just slice the pie, shred a little parmesan cheese on top and devour. Ooh so easy and so very yummy. Best part the leftovers heat up awesome…if any is left over!