Are you ready for the easiest and most delicious bread?!! You guys, this is like the best bread ever! Whenever Binks and I visit our mom, Grandma Fish, she makes this bread and IT IS DELICIOUS!
I don’t often make it at home but lately I have been. My kids love it too and again IT’S EASY! It’s a great bread to bring to someone’s house if they are hosting, this bread is always a crowd pleaser.
Here is how you make the dough
Mix the ingredients and let work it’s magic for 12 hours. Easy is an understatement but you do need time, you can’t rush the process.. First thing you do in put all your ingredients in a bowl and mix them together. The dough is shaggy and not pretty.
Then you cover it with plastic wrap and walk away for at least 12 hours. Seriously that’s it!
At this time, you take a non piling towel and sprinkle a little flour down so the dough doesn’t stick. Take the dough out of the bowl and shape it into a ball. Then fold the towel over the dough and let it nap for 2 hours.
Just when you have 20 minutes left you start preheating the oven to 450 degrees. You need a covered pan that can withstand the heat. For example, this is a pan similar to what I use.
This pan needs to be nice and hot. After the pan heats up for 20 minutes, plop that dough in there! Don’t use any cooking spray! You don’t need it. I may or may not have made that mistake and ruined a pan. OOPS!
Cook at 450 degrees for 20 minutes with the cover on. Then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. This bread is crusty on the outside and soft in the middle. Ahhh it’s so good!
This bread undoubtably makes me think of my mom and her incredible bread making skills. I hope you can try this bread and love it as much as our family loves it!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2-3 tbsp flax seeds (optional but adds delicious flavor)
- (The night prior to wanting to eat) Mix all ingredients all together in a big bowl with a wooden spoon until dough just comes together. It will be a shaggy, doughy mess. Cover with plastic and let stand for 12-24 hours on the countertop.
- After dough has rested for at least 12 hours you will shape the dough and let it nap. Dough will be wet and sticky. With a wet spatula, dump the dough on a floured surface and shape into a ball. Plop dough onto a floured non piling towel and cover for 2 hours.
- With a half hour left preheat oven to 450 degrees and put covered pan in the oven while preheating for 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from oven and slide dough into pot and shake to even it out. Cover the pot and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove cover and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Continue to bake bread for 10-20 minutes until beautifully golden.
- You can recrisp crust at 350 for 10 mins