My kids are always asking for snacks and I like to give them treats that are also healthy! That’s where energy balls come in! Let’s be very clear these healthy treats are absolutely delicious. Each of my three kids and my hubby love them. I always make a double batch because they go pretty fast and if any are left over I can freeze them for later! Another great thing about energy balls is you can change them up by adding different ingredients. You can simply use what you have in the house! “>
With this batch I made them with oats, peanut butter, maple syrup, flax seeds, crunched up graham crackers and chocolate chips. The maple syrup can be substituted with honey, I just happen to be out of honey…and now maple syrup too. Again I double the recipe and sometimes have to add extra oats to help make it a little dryer. I swear it’s different every time I make them but it doesn’t matter because you can tell just by looking at them. You want them moist (I know, I know that word) enough to hold together but not too much that they won’t hold their shape.
Here are all the ingredients in a bowl and all you do is mix them. Now my kids love to help me mix! honestly I prefer to do it myself but…I let them. With this particular batch I needed more oats. I’m thinking it’s because the maple syrup is a bit thinner than honey. No biggie, I just added another half cup and then it was perfect.
After it’s all mixed we wash our hands really good. You could also use rubber gloves if you don’t want messy hands. Or…you can use a cookie scooper which is what I prefer to do! No mess! Usually I have the kids roll a few and then they eat those and then I scoop the rest. I place them on a cookie sheet with a silicone cover and just cover with plastic wrap. Place them in the fridge. This helps to solidify them a bit and then they are easier to store. I will say they are better after the oats can absorb the yummy goodness. I recommend a couple hours at least. But we don’t often last that long before at least indulging a little.
These really are the easiest and yummiest snack. Store extras in airtight container. It wouldn’t hurt to layer with parchment paper so they don’t stick together. I recommend storing them in the fridge. And if you are like me double the batch and freeze some for later!!
- 1 1/2 cups no stir creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I like to use mini if I have them)
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 3 full graham crackers crushed
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and use a rubber spatula to mix until all the ingredients are well combined. If it still feels too wet add in more oats until it’s the right consistency
- Roll mixture into balls or use a mini cookie scoop and put on cookie sheet and store for at least an hour in fridge.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- If you are smart double the batch and freeze some for later. You will thank me I promise!
Other items you could try in the energy balls
- chia seeds
- Nuts chopped
- dried fruit chopped
- shredded coconut
- protein powder
- different kind of chocolate chips
- hemp hearts
~links are affiliate links and small commissions can be made at no expense to the buyer~