I discovered a Mascarpone Cake at a local restaurant. It is my favorite dessert! (Well except for the Napoleons at Belle Pastry in Bellevue, WA). One thing that I have done for each of my kids birthdays is to make a cake. I want it to be one of the traditions they remember that Mama made them a cake for their birthday.
It was recently my sister-in-law’s birthday and I was asked to bring dessert. Well my Pinterest search started. I came across a Mascarpone Cake and I adapted it to my own recipe and…IT IS AMAZING!!!
This cake has three layers of sponge with berry filling and a mascarpone frosting!
Vanilla Berry Cake
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh berries (I used blueberries)
- 12 oz bag of frozen mixed berries
- 3 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
Whipped Mascarpone Frosting
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 oz mascarpone cheese
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Also grease three 8 inch round cake pans. (If you have parchment paper, I highly recommend lining the bottoms of the pan)
- Cake In a bowl mix together all the dry ingredients flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In mixing bowl, I have a kitchenaid mixer, add milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Mix together
- Start adding dry ingredients into wet ingredients. When well combined slowly add in water and mix well
- Pour evenly into the three cake pans
- Add in berries to cake pans so the fruit is placed evenly. I used blueberries but mixed berries would also be delicious. Add more or less to taste. Mmmm my mouth is watering.
- Cook cake for 24 minutes or longer if needed. A toothpick should come out clean. (I made 2 days ahead of time to cut down on time. I wrapped in plastic wrap once cooled and put in the freezer.
- Berry Filling while cake cooks you will begin the berry filling. Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Put the puree into a saucepan and cook on medium heat until mixture thickens and begins to boil. You must stir constantly. Usually takes around 8 minutes or a bit longer. Once it starts to boil leave it boiling for 1 minute and then take it off the heat. It must cool completely. Transfer it to a bowl and stick it in the refrigerator until its completely cool.
- Mascarpone Frosting
- In mixing bowl, add whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla and whip to soft peaks.
- Add mascarpone cheese and whip to stiff peaks. This will happen in a short amount of time. Then store in the refrigerator until cakes and berry filling are completely cooled and you are ready to store.
- Cut the dome off the cake tops. This helps it stack properly.
- Add a little bit of frosting to the cake plate. This helps the cake stick to the plate. Add first cake.
- Pipe a fence of frosting around the outside of the cake, refer to the pictures above. This helps keep the berry filling from spilling over the sides. I used a piping bag.
- Add half the berry filling to the center of the cake.
- Pipe more frosting over the top of the berry filling and spread so the layer is even.
- Add second layer of cake and repeat steps 3-5.
- Add third layer of cake. Frost with the remaining frosting the top and sides of the cake.
- Add fresh berries to decorate this most delicious cake.
- Cake must be refrigerated and last for up to 3 days.
This cake is so seriously delicious and truly impressive. It has steps but they really are easy. If you want to impress your guests this is the cake to do it with. Enjoy!!!